Local collieries in the area
Some of the collieries in the area include:
- Parsonage colliery was one of deepest mines in the country at over 3000 ft (900m) deep. Seams were wet and therefore a series of pumps were used to remove water into underground canals before being pumped into the canal at Leigh. The winding engine was a steam engine fuelled by methane extraction.
- Bickershaw colliery first began mining in1877 and was next to Parsonage colliery. It had a superior electric winding system to that used at Parsonage and employed over 1500 people. Between 1973 and 1976 a £3m underground link joined Bickershaw, Golborne and Parsonage Collieries. Parsonage colliery was fully integrated with Bickershaw in 1983, with all coal wound up at Bickershaw and parsonage used for supplies.
- Edge Green Colliery in Ashton-in-Makerfield was situated opposite the Harrow Inn on Edge Green Road. A disaster at the colliery in 1932, which killed 24 men and injured 5 others, led to the colliery being abandoned.
- Maypole Colliery was named after the Maypole in Park Lane, Abram. It was the focus of much attention following an explosion in 1908 (see industrial disasters).
- Abram Colliery was closed in 1933 and taken over by Bickershaw Colliery.
- Bamfurlong Colliery was part of Bryn Hall Collieries, the site of which is close to the Three Sisters Recreation Area.